Saturday, April 14, 2012

Still plodding on

Haven't updated for a while but still going strong.

I thought I'd share some links to recipes I found recently that look really good and I've added to my list to try sometime!

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-try-this-skin-cream-20120331,0,5431451.story

http://www.organicauthority.com/delicious-beauty/homemade-shampoo-and-conditioner-recipes-for-natural-hair.html

I've been getting into the spring mode and planted basil (which is proving itself to be a delicious addition in cooking - I think I'll have to plant another as it's not growing fast enough for me to use it as much as I want to!).  I've also planted a grape tomato plant and a bell pepper plant.  Looking forward to them producing as that will save us some money.  I found organic potting mix at Walmart which was great, so have planted them in that.

I continue to use soap nuts on my laundry and find they work great - been using them for probably over a year now.  I had 'Yoreganics' brand first and now am on 'Econuts'.  Very happy with both brands.  I actually have some soap nut seeds and am going to attempt to grow my own soap nut tree, as that will be great to source my own soap from my own tree! How cool is that?

Recently my husband and I had a really bad cough/cold and that really started me looking for home remedies as I don't want to have to take the sugared medicines etc that are available commercially.  It's amazing how much information is out there, so many people have different remedies for different things that they claim are tried and true.  While searching online I stumbled across a website called Vintage Remedies.  There is so much interesting information provided there as well as mini courses - there is one mini course in making herbal syrups that is only $5.99.   I'm also interested in their family herbalist course - great idea!  I would love to know about the power of plants so to avoid antibiotics and other drugs as much as possible for my family and I in the years to come.  Apparently elderberries are really good - so I need to get one of those plants at some stage too,  that will make some effective syrups I've heard.

Another link I found that I'll pass on to you is here.  It's a forum of different people posting remedies and it's really interesting.  I've been trying some on my husband like the honey mixed with turmeric (which works quite well) and the gargling of apple cider vinegar is an experience out of this world.  Never felt anything quite like it - not a nice experience. If you've experienced how horseradish or wasabi goes right up your sinuses - that is nothing compared to where apple cider vinegar goes!

I got up early and went to the farmers market - great to have fresh, organic local produce and meats etc again.   I love our farmers market!!!

I'm going to leave you with an article making me feel once again, SO GLAD, we made the decision to be chemical free in our home.  Children are too precious!

Study links Autism with environments...

No comments:

Post a Comment