So now onto the pantry with this. I've been reading in yet more books lately about the dangers of GM foods on the human body so have decided I am going to try to eliminate them completely from my diet. The easiest way to do that is to buy local from farmers that don't use pesticides/herbicides/fungicides etc and to buy food that has the USDA Certified Organic symbol on it as that also tells you it is not GM sourced.
I've subscribed recently to Dr Mercola's emails and gaining really good information on all this. Here is a link to further information on GM foods and how to avoid them.
These are my goals for the next year:
* Not to eat any GM food at all ie especially anything corn based or soy based as they are the biggest GM industries affected
* To only drink filtered tap water and not bottled water (water or anything in plastic leaches the chemicals from the plastic into the water and then into your body and they build up in body and cause sicknesses. Also bottled water have been proven to be just tap water most of the time. Also unfiltered tap water has pesticides etc in it so definitely needs filtering)
* To not eat anything out of a can unless it is enamel lined (cans are lined with BPA which is really serious)
* To not eat any fish - I don't eat much anyway but apparently the mercury levels in all fish is now very high along with other pollutants, thanks to all the stuff in the environment
* To avoid pesticides/herbicides/fungicides (build up in your blood and cause diseases etc_
* To avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup and especially fructose (it gets metabolised by your liver the same way alcohol does - puts on weight quickly and also causes same diseases of liver alcohol does)
* To try to avoid any food in plastic as much as possible. So I'll try to buy everything in glass or fresh - I realise this is near impossible in today's world but I will try as much as I can all the same. (The plastics leach into the food)
* To ensure all dairy, eggs, meats are all from grass fed, non gm, no hormones or antiobiotic animals
* To avoid all artificial sweeteners in anything
* Avoid and watch out for MSG in foods or brominated flour
It sounds crazy that it's come to this, to have to avoid so much to stay healthy but after reading all the research and proven links with all this stuff - it is enough to challenge me to do this. Quality of life is more important than missing out on some processed or preprepared food etc. Let's see how it goes.
I've discovered a local fast food type place called Chipotle are committed to green and only use local produce and grass fed meat so that will be my one place that I am safe to go to. Also a place in town called The Gastro Pub serves local produce and meats in their meals - so I have two places if we want to eat out!
I'm really getting into coconut too after reading the book 'The Coconut Oil Miracle' by Bruce Fyfe and right now am trying out coconut rice. Coconut oil is fantastic and the only safe oil to cook with but I won't go into all that now. We have got rid of all oils in the house now except for this and olive oil and it's working out just fine. The coconut oil doesn't put a flavour in your food. Just make sure you get cold pressed extra virgin organic.
This is my plan, it means I have less fast access to food but I'm okay with it. I'm committed to getting back to whatever it takes to ensure a healthy life as much as possible. It's amazing what we really don't need too.
Would love to know if anyone else is doing this also out there!