Sunday, September 18, 2011

Stainless Steel - is it all the same quality?

I thought that stainless steel was stainless steel but recently read this article which brought to my attention that not all are quality.  Sometimes they are just coated with stainless steel, and then there is the nickel quantity in it - nickel stops it corroding so the more nickel the better.

Did you know stainless steel should not be magnetic?  If it is,  then it isn't quality stainless steel and will corrode, bend in the oven etc.

To sum up, the best stainless steel food grade that you can get is 18/8 or 18/10 standard. (The 8 and the 10 indicate the nickel level and that's the highest available apparently).

So with this in mind I have been searching for a while for stainless steel ovenware.  I had purchased some cookie sheets, but since reading the article linked above, I realise they are cheap and won't last long unfortunately. Anyway.  I did find on overstock some 18/10 muffin pans, cookie sheets and a jelly roll pan so have put my order in. From the reviews on overstock about these, they are hard to come by so really you have to grab them when you see them.  Hopefully they will last me well. I'll let you know!

1 comment:

  1. Update July 2012: They are excellent!!! Last very well. Very happy with them

    ReplyDelete