Thursday, May 12, 2011

Bamboo is not a green choice for clothing at all!

I just finished reading a fantastic book that I highly recommend called 'Planet Earth' by Jeffrey Hollender and in it, amongst the other wealths of fantastic information, he brought to my attention the situation with bamboo.  Now Bamboo fabric is marketed in my understanding as a green choice - non toxic/organic etc however it is not this or very rarely.  Apparently bamboo is rayon or similar to in some cases and is treated with Sodium Hydroxide and many other very toxic chemicals!

I just found further information here if you're interested in more specifics.

I guess those bamboo baby sheets I bought thinking they were safe and non toxic will be heading back where they came from pretty quickly.  Crazy how we're so deceived by clever marketing.

Aside from this apparently it is still good for chopping boards because of its natural antibacterial qualities and I'm sure other things - just not the fabric unless it's been processed by hand naturally without the chemicals.

No comments:

Post a Comment